Friday 18 June 2010

World Cup Fever - The Menu

The World Cup Fever is still aflame, although somewhat dimmer than our last meeting - what with a draw in England's last match and the inability to watch an entire game due to those irritating horns the crowd toot on ceaselessly (btw they have a wicked name, zoomzummers or something similar - but this does not make them any less headache inducing).

Today at the library Vin and I read a South African fable about a turtle because I felt it was my motherly duty to educate him about the host nation - he was very impressed to and only ate two of the books pages.

Tonight I was stumped for an Algerian inspired supper - so poor is my geographical knowledge I had to Google to find out where it was, but that led to finding the Food Network website where I fell in love with their World Cuisine pages. They have recipe suggestions from all the competing nations. And that is how tonight's supper of sweet cous cous came about.

Photobucket

Sweet Couscous with Dried Fruit
In a saucepan mix 580ml water, 100g caster sugar, 40g dried cranberries, 60g dried apricots (chopped), 40g dried cherries (chopped) and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

Take off heat, stir in 500g couscous and cover for 5-7 minutes (or until the couscous has absorbed all the liquid)

Fluff up the couscous with a fork and stir in 60g toasted slivered almonds, drizzle with Olive Oil and serve

..............

Entirely perfect, plus you can get it done in extra time for a half-time snack.

I'm not a meat-eater but I'm sure it wouldn't be entirely inappropriate to serve this with a lamb tagine, I ate it straight from the bowl as a dessert style supper
 

........................................




No comments:

Post a Comment